You should use 2FA on your accounts, here’s why.
Online presence is a very common thing in our daily life. In that process, we create a lot of social accounts that are protected with passwords. But, using only passwords to protect your accounts is the wrong decision.
Why using only passwords is risky?
Passwords can be compromised. If someone got access to your password they can misuse the account by logging in to it. Then, how could we protect our accounts?
Use 2 Factor Authentication for your supported accounts
Using 2 Factor Authentication provides an additional layer of security to your accounts. Instead of just entering the password and logging into your account, you need to enter a 6-digit code after the password is entered. This 6-digit code can be an OTP sent to your phone or the one generated by an authenticator app.
How to use an authenticator app for 2FA?
Using an authenticator app for logging into your account reduces the hustle of receiving OTP’s on your smartphone. I’ll tell you how to enroll your accounts into an authenticator app
My app of choice is Authy.
Follow these steps to set 2FA
- Open Authy, tap on the 3 dot menu option on the top right corner, and select “Add account”.
- You’ll be asked to scan code or enter code manually. Select the option of your convenience.
- Now scan the QR code or enter the code provided by the account you want to apply 2FA for.
Here I’ll show you how to set up 2FA for your Amazon account.
- Open “login&security” from the “your account” page, and tap on Two-Step Verification.
- On the next page, select the option “authenticator app”. You’ll get a QR code and a random text code. Scan the QR or enter the text code in your authenticator app, and enter the code generated by the authenticator app and tap “Verify OTP and continue”.
- You’re done! Your account has been protected with 2FA. You can do the same with your different social accounts but in their own ways.
Now let’s see how this 2FA works
Let’s try it logging into Amazon:
- First, you have to enter your credentials as you would normally do, hit “login”.
- In the next step, you will be asked to enter the OTP generated by your authenticator app.
- Enter OTP generated by the authenticator app and hit “Sign In”
- Congratulations, you are now logged in. 🎉
Let me know if you enjoyed the article by hitting on Twitter.